Sarah Chorn has a great recurring column at SF SIGNAL: Special Needs in Strange Worlds
where she highlights books focusing on and celebrating disabilities in science fiction and fantasy. What a great idea! Yesterday, she came out with the best books in 2014
and I’m thrilled to find Hollow World on it. That’s the twelfth time my little science fiction project has made a “best of” or “most anticipated list.”
Sarah asked Mieneke van der Salm and Paul Weimer to help her come up with the final list of 13 titles:
- Half a King by Joe Abercrombie
- Stranger by Rachel Manija Brown and Sherwood Smith
- Otherbound by Corinne Duyvis
- Binary by Stephanie Saulter
- Premonitions by Jamie Schultz
- War Dogs by Greg Bear
- Full Fathom Five by Max Gladstone
- Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley
- Lock In by John Scalzi
- Afterparty by Daryl Gregory
- Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop
- We Are All Completely Fine by Daryl Gregory
- Hollow World by Michael J. Sullivan
So if you like characters who are slightly off the norm, then check out some of these books…and tune in for Sarah’s ongoing column where she reviews books and interviews author’s. I’ve found some very entertaining reads through the column.
Wow, I can’t believe how long it has been since I posted here. I really need to get my three separate sites combined to one…but that’s a topic for another day. For now, I wanted to post some recent events concerning Hollow World.
First, I was honored to have Hollow World nominated for a Goodreads Choice Award!
It didn’t win, and congratulations to Andy Weir who did. Truly it was an honor just to be included.
The second thing I wanted to mention is that because of its inclusion I started a goodreads giveaway for two copies of the book. You can find it here. So, if you don’t have a print copy, or just want one to give to a friend, why not sign up?
Well, that’s all for now, but I’ll be stopping back soonish, to answer some questions I’ve been getting regarding the book.
Yesterday I mentioned (on my Riyria blogsite) that audible added Hollow World to their Spring Preview 2014: The Best New Sci-Fi & Fantasy. That in and of itself is a great honor and enough to make me walking around on a high all day. My email tends to be a bit of an excavation site and as such I miss some emails, so when I found this in my inbox, the news got even better because Hollow World got even more exposure.
It’s somewhat ironic, as when I wrote Hollow World my mindset was very much in the category of, “If no one ever reads this, I’ll still be happy, as I love the book and I’m satisfied simply by the journey I took writing it.” I still feel this way, but the irony comes from the fact that this book seems to be getting so much attention – which I never counted on. The reviews have been outstanding, and already more than 50 people have left reviews on Amazon. Writing a book is done in so much isolation, and it’s easy to forget about the whole new dimension it takes on when it’s let lose in the wild. So as much as I enjoyed writing Hollow World, I’m also ecstatic about the reception it is getting. Creating stories is the best job in the world, but stories are best when shared with others, especially those who love them as much as you do.
It’s now exactly three months until Hollow World will be officially released. How can time travel so fast and so so slow simultaneously? And yes and that was my lame attempt at time-travel humor…given Hollow World’s premise it seemed lie that was worth going for.
A lot is going on.
- Early reviews continue to come in from both bloggers and readers. If you are one of the people who got Hollow World early, please consider leaving a review on Amazon or Goodreads. All I ask is that you are honest about your feelings on the book.
- The narrator has been selected for the audio version. More on this in an upcoming post.
- We’ve finally standardized on the cover design. For awhile there were a few variations running around some that featured Marc’s excellent artwork, others that utilized Pax. Tachyon has determined which way they want to go and I’m going to have the audio book and ebook follow that – so I’ll announce that “official” cover soon.
- The final interior layout is done, and I’m reviewing it now. This was another one of those things that we went round and round about…I can be a picky sob. But Tachyon has been very accommodating, as usual, and I think it’s looking wonderful.
- People are pre-ordering!! So thanks so much for that. In a few weeks I’ll be announcing a pre-order campaign where those that pre-order can get some free stuff (bookmarks, book plates, a free short story, and even a one-on-one conversation with me)
So yeah, a lot of “stay tuned” but also a lot of movement. It won’t be too much longer!
Well it looks like we finally got Amazon fixed and you can now once again pre-order Hollow World. The broken page with the old ISBN is gone, and I’m hoping the pre-orders to the old version has (or will) move over to it. When checking out the page it was nice to see that the book is making the Time Travel Bestseller list:
It looks nice sitting next to Ian TreGillis’s books:
I took the screen shots as I expect it to disappear from this list pretty quickly…but hopefully it will come back when the book goes into actual release. Tachyon is working on the final production version of the book, and that will mean a change to the cover but the page count is now accurate and some nice reviews are coming in from the advance readers. If you are thinking of getting the book, please do consider pre-ordering. It helps the publisher determine the print run and amount of marketing dollars the book will receive, and it also gets the book on these lists which helps with discoverability. Even if you don’t want to order it now, consider putting it on our wish list (as that also adds some visibility, for instance, right now Hollow World is: #51 on the Time Travel Wish List).
A few things to keep in mind for those considering pre-ordering:
- All paperback and audio orders will receive DRM free copies of ebook (in as many formats as you desire)
- Those that pre-order will receive the ebook in mid March – a full month before the official release
- I’ll provide signed bookmarks and book plates for those that pre-order (more about this soon)
- Current pre-order discount is 24% off. That’s just $12.12.
- If the price goes down before the release, you’ll get the lower price
- Links to pre-order from a number of sites can be found here.
- I offer pre-orders from my own website (both print and ebook). I’ll even sign and dedicate them if you wish. Even with the 15% discount I give, I still receive more money per book as buying direct cuts out the distributor’s share. Tachyon still gets their full payment (as I buy the books wholesale from them). Here is a link.
It’s still 131 days until the release of Hollow World, but four lucky people will be mailed signed limited-edition hardcovers tomorrow. This means you have a chance to join the nearly one thousand people who are already reading the novel (because they participated in the Kickstarter). The Kickstarter backers paid $75 for these editions, and as there are only 250 of them in existence, the books will become collector items. Here’s a bit of information for those just being introduced to the book.
The future is coming…for some sooner than others
Ellis Rogers is an ordinary man who is about to embark on an extraordinary journey. All his life he has played it safe and done the right thing, but faced with a terminal illness he’s willing to take an insane gamble. He’s built a time machine in his garage, and if it works, he’ll face a world that challenges his understanding of what it means to be human, what it takes to love, and the cost of paradise. Ellis could find more than a cure for his illness; he might find what everyone has been searching for since time began…but only if he can survive Hollow World.
“This is a clever and thought-provoking story, with loads of interesting ideas, some adrenalin-pumping action and plenty of humor” — Pauline M. Ross, Fantasy Review Barn
There are two ways to enter:
If you live in a place where you can enter in both…feel free to do so. For those outside the specified countries, you’ll actually have two ballots entered in my drawing (the software that takes the poll will determine what country you are from). This way everyone will have two chances to win.
Even if you’ve read Hollow World, or have your own print copy, I encourage you to enter. The books will arrive in time for holiday gift giving so you might just get a nice present for a friend or loved one.
I’ve received some emails from people who are trying to pre-order Hollow World and having difficulty doing so. When going to the page on Amazon they are presented with:
First off, thanks so much for pre-ordering as this will really help with the launch of the product. Secondly, there has been a glitch that has required a change in the ISBN – as such the old pages are being replaced with new ones. It’s going to take awhile to populate the pages throughout, but I’ll be back and update you soon. For those that previously purchased, I’m not sure whether you’ll have to cancel your prior order and re-order or not. I’m waiting to hear more from Tachyon Publications, so stay tuned.
Rest assured the distributor, Tachyon Publications, and I are working to get a fix as soon as possible. In the meantime, I’ve added both the ebook and the print book to the Michael J. Sullivan store, so that you can pre-order them from there. Print books can be signed/dedicated and will include free copies of ebooks in whatever format you wish. (An email will be sent after ordering to choose your preferred format(s). Any book that is pre-ordered from my site will be shipped as soon as I get my copies from Tachyon, which I anticipate will be ahead of the official release date.